Sunday, September 2, 2007

"Soap Box"

I've been touring around the Great Lakes for the past two weeks, and I'll be in the region for another week. I'll play a few more shows before heading back down to Austin to finish off the sizzle of summer - get a few more dips in Lake Travis before the weather turns.

I have been visiting some family here in the Detroit area, and despite her heat, am missing my Texas home more than I have on past tours.

The first two concerts of this tour took place in Madison, Wisconsin where I met and played for Ralph Bronner of the famous Dr. Bronners Magic Soap! Ralph is an extraordinary man, preaching the gospel of the "All One" philosophy via the family's soap roots, which trace back 5 generations to Orthodox Jewish, German soap makers. The story goes: Ralph's father, and Dr. Bronner's founder Emmanual Bronner, immigrated to the United States in 1929 to Chicago. Emmanual was sent away before long to an insane asylum from which he escaped - He hitchhiked to California and started his now famous soap enterprise. Ralph's two nephews now run the business of soap, while Ralph himself drives around the country in his Caravan handing out soap, "COEXIST" bumpersitckers, Hugs, songs, stories, and a most remarkable sprit of sharing, giving, teaching, and providing for those in need. From now on, I will endorse Dr. Bronner's products and support Ralph in his cause to unite the world in peace!

O.k. Enough on the 'soap box'.

Coming up next, something completely dirty...

2 comments:

Jim Baker said...

Hey Melissa,
Great to hear from you! I too endorse Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castille Soap. It's cool and refreshing especially after a hike in the Texas heat. Plus it's enviro-friendly!

Hope to see you soon,
Jim

Melissa Greener said...

Hey Jim,

Great to hear from you too! I'm playing up in Dallas on Thursday, Oct. 25th at the All Good Cafe. I'd love to see you (with a van full of friends). It's been a little while, eh?

Best to you and your gang.

- MG